A Few Fun Facts About Tacos Plus The Delicious Versions at Mexicali Blues
When it comes to the best Mexican food at the Lake of the Ozarks, we've got lots of delicious choices for you at Mexicali Blues in Osage Beach. There's one menu item that seems to get ordered more than any of the others (especially on Tuesdays, but more about that below). The fantastic food we're referring to is the terrific, tasty, tantalizing TACO!
Here are a few fun facts we found about tacos. After you read your way through these, we'll give you a closer look at the irresistible variety of tacos served right here at Mexicali Blues.
DID YOU KNOW...
You already know that tacos are absolutely delicious (and if you don't know that simple fact then you definitely need to get to Mexicali Blues and give our tacos a try!) What many people don't realize is that they are a very interesting food item as well. Here are a few fun facts that are going to make you love tacos even more than you already do!
- Rumor has it that tacos have been around a very long time. Their invention happened sometime between 1,000 and 500 B.C.
- The word taco originated from the Mexican Spanish word meaning a "plug" or "wad" but it is also a word used for "light lunch." (That last one makes a lot more sense in this context!)
- The Spanish word for taco shop is "taqueria." This term was originally used to describe street vendors that sold tacos, but today most often refers to a restaurant serving authentic Mexican food.
- The first taco truck was operated by two housewives in New York in 1966.
- The largest flour taco, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, was made in 2003 and weighed 1,654 pounds! It measured 35.9 feet long and 33.8 inches wide stuffed full of grilled steak and onion.
- Guinness also states that the longest line of tacos was achieved just last year in 2017. Chadron State College and Creative Dining Services from Chadron, Nebraska lined up 2,017 tacos, which ended up feeding over 2,000 people.
- One more Guinness world record is the largest serving of packaged tacos, which weighed 2,712.13 pounds. This honor was earned by UberEats and El Tizoncito, both of Mexico, in 2017. It contained 36,300 tacos and it took over 600 UberEats drivers to deliver them all.
- October 4 is National Taco Day. (We celebrate tacos a LOT more than just once a year around here!)
Tacos at Mexicali Blues
You'll find the best tacos at the Lake of the Ozarks (as well as all of your other Mexican food favorites) being served at Mexicali Blues every Tuesday-Saturday beginning at 4:00 pm. Here are the many different ways we can bring them out to you.
Ala Cart Tacos
When you're just in the mood for a couple of tacos or would like to add tacos to another meal choice, the ala cart menu is exactly what you need. Here, tacos can be ordered on either a crispy corn shell or soft flour shell wrapped around your choice of meat, which includes:
- Ground Beef
- Fajita Chicken
- Fajita Steak
Two fried lobster tacos with lettuce, cheese, cilantro, and ranch dressing, served with rice.
Shrimp or Fish Tacos
Two shrimp or fish tacos with lettuce, cheese, cilantro, and ranch dressing, served with rice.
Baja Shrimp Tacos
Two blackened shrimp tacos with slaw, mango salsa, avocado, and chipotle sour cream, served with coconut rice.
Baja Pork Tacos
Two pork tacos with slaw, mango salsa, avocado, and chipotle sour cream, served with coconut rice.
Two slow-roasted pork tacos topped with lettuce, cheese, guacamole, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro, served with black beans and rice.
All combo dinners come with rice and beans, and black beans may be substituted for a small additional charge. For this meal, you get to choose 1-4 of the following items to enjoy:
Don't Miss Our Weekly Taco Tuesday!
For those of you that are not familiar with Mexicali Blues' Taco Tuesday at the Lake of the Ozarks, it's a very special day every single week when we offer our amazing tacos for just $1 each. Yes, you read that correctly, just $1 EACH, and that's ALL DAY LONG every single TUESDAY!!!
From the moment we open the doors at 4:00 am until we close the kitchen that evening, no matter how many tacos you order, that's the low price you pay for each and every one.
Now that you're an expert on all things "tacos," make your way on over to Mexicali Blues in Osage Beach and enjoy a plate full of them! We are anxiously awaiting your arrival and look forward to serving you very soon.