Know Your Tequila - The 5 Different Types To Choose From

There are so many different brands of tequila available, it can be difficult to know which one to choose. We offer a wide variety behind our Lake of the Ozarks Mexican restaurant bar, and our bartender is always happy to point you in the right direction. Today's blog might also be of some assistance the next time you want to try a new tequila in your Mexcali Blues margarita. 


2 Tequila Categories
The main types of tequila are split into two different categories before being divided into types: 100% Agave and Tequila Mixto. The 100% Agave is made with all Blue Agave, but Tequila Mixto only has to contain at least 51% Blue Agave in the ingredients. The other 49% is made up from other sugars, and additional things such as caramel color, oak extract flavoring, glycerin, and sugar based syrup may be used in the recipe. 

While true tequila must be made only in certain parts of Mexico, Tequila Mixto can be bottled anywhere since 2006. If a tequila is 100% Agave, it will always say so on the label, but if it is a Mixto, the label will only read "tequila."     


5 Types of Tequila 

Blanco (Silver)
This type can also be labeled Plata, White, or Platinum. It is the Blue Agave spirit in its purest form. It is clear and usually not aged, but some versions may be aged up to 2 months for a smoother taste. 

Joven (Gold)
Most Gold Tequilas are Mixto because colorants and flavorings are added. Sometimes you can find a Gold Tequila that is a blend of a Silver and a Reposado or Anejo Tequila (described below) classifying it as 100% Agave. This type is very often used in mixed drinks.  It may also be labeled Oro. 

Reposado (Aged)
This is the first stage of a "rested and aged" tequila. It is kept in wooden barrels or storage tanks anywhere between 2-11 months. It takes on a golden color from the wood it is stored in, as well as flavor from the wood used, which is usually American or French Oak. You will find some that have been aged in used bourbon, cognac, or wine barrels, which adds another dimension of flavor to that particular tequila. 

Anejo (Extra Aged)
When tequila is aged for a year or more, it falls into this type. The barrels it is aged in cannot exceed 600 liters. The flavor produced is very smooth, rich, and often complex, and the color turns a lovely Amber. 

Extra Anejo (Ultra Aged) 
This type has only been in existence since 2006 for tequilas that are aged more than 3 years. Distillers must follow the same guidelines as with Anejo, but the longer storage time causes the spirit to be a much darker Mahogany color. This type must be diluted with distilled water due to the high alcohol content before bottling.


So, which one are you ready to try first? Every type can make an excellent margarita, and some of the aged versions are perfect for drinking on their own. The next time you are dining in our Lake of the Ozarks restaurant, mosey on over to the bar and check out all of the different types and brands of tequila we have on the shelf at Mexicali Blues. It's quite an intriguing, and delicious, collection. 





www.MexBlues.com
Connect with us:
LinkedIn  -  Google+ 

6605 HWY 54
Osage Beach, MO 65065
573-302-0419 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mexicali Blues 2020 Season is Ending Soon - Don't Miss Out!

5 Great Reasons We Believe You'll LOVE Mexicali Blues

Holiday Gift Ideas With a Touch of Mexican Flair