So Many Burritos To Choose From!
8 Tasty Burritos
In Mexico, burritos often only contain meat and refried beans wrapped inside a tortilla. Here in the U.S.A., we tend to add a lot more than those two ingredients to make a burrito. This makes for some big burritos with even bigger flavor! For example, here is what the best Mexican restaurant at the Lake of the Ozarks has in store for you!
Bean - A refried bean burrito topped with enchilada sauce, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, and green onions.
Mexicali - A flour tortilla stuffed with refried beans & meat, smothered with enchilada sauce & cheese, then topped with lettuce, sour cream & green onions. If you like, you can upgrade to Fajita chicken or steak.
Chili Con Queso - A ground beef & bean burrito smothered with chili con queso and topped with lettuce, sour cream, & green onions
Chipotle - A large burrito stuffed with beans, cheese & chipotle sauce, topped with cheese & sour cream, and with grilled onions & peppers on the side. You can choose either shrimp or Fajitia chicken or steak for your meat.
El Zapatista - A flour tortilla filled with fajita chicken or shrimp, rice, and grilled onions & peppers. It's smothered with cream cheese sauce and topped with lettuce, pico de gallo, & cilantro.
Surf & Turf - Steak & shrimp, rice & beans, topped with enchilada sauce, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, & green onions.
Pancho Villa - A large tortilla stuffed with black beans, rice, pork, chicken & beef, smothered with enchilada sauce, chili con queso & queso blanco. That's all topped with lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, & green onions.
Deep Fried Burrito - Stuffed with meat, beans & rice, then deep-fried and topped with enchilada sauce, melted cheese, lettuce, sour cream, & green onion.
Burrito Fun Facts
The next time you're enjoying your delicious burrito of choice, here are a few interesting facts about this incredible dish that you can use for some impressive dinner conversation.
- In Spanish, the word "burrito" actually means "little donkey!" Relax, that doesn't mean original burritos were made with donkey. The most popular theory is that this food got its name because a man named Juan Mendez used a donkey to transport the food to sell. This "food of the burrito" eventually came to be known as simply "burritos."
- The burrito is the traditional food of the city of Juarez in northern Mexico.
- Citizens in southern Mexico prefer a corn tortilla to the traditional flour tortilla.
- Burritos are more commonly eaten in the United States than in Mexico.
- If you deep-fry a burrito and leave out the refried beans, it turns into a chimichanga.
- The earliest documented burritos showed up in the early 1920's, and the word didn't make it into the Oxford English dictionary until 1958.
Well, now that you know the many different types of burritos that we have to offer at Mexicali Blues, plus a few fun facts about this incredible dish, it's time to come in and order one! Pair the best Mexican food at the Lake of the Ozarks with one of our famous margaritas, and you've got a meal that simply can't be beat! Should we expect you for lunch or dinner?