Get to Know Your Tequilas - 5 Delicious Varieties

We have a wide variety of quality tequilas behind the bar at our Lake of the Ozarks Mexican restaurantThere are so many different kinds, it can be difficult to know which to order. The more you know about the different types of tequila available, the easier it will be to narrow down which ones you will like most. 



Your Mexicali Blues bartender will be more than happy to point you in the right direction if you want to get to know our tequilas a bit better. The information in today's blog will give you a head start on that. The next time you come in, you may already sound like a tequila expert! 

2 Categories of Tequila
The main types of tequila are split into two different categories before being divided into types. These categories are 100% Agave and Tequila Mixto

The 100% Agave is made with all Blue Agave, but Tequila Mixto only has to contain at least 51% Blue Agave in the ingredients. The other 49% is made up of other sugars plus additional things such as caramel color, oak extract flavoring, glycerin, and sugar-based syrup may also be used in the recipe.

While true tequila must be made only in certain parts of Mexico, Tequila Mixto can be bottled anywhere. If a tequila is 100% Agave, it will always say so on the label, but if it is a Mixto, the label will only read "tequila." 


5 Types of Tequila
Once you know more about the types of tequila available, you'll have a better idea about which will tickle your taste buds best. Of course, the true test is actually tasting them, which you won't want to do in just one visit. Sampling one or two each trip to Mexicali Blues is a perfect excuse for you to come in & see us more often!

Blanco (Silver)
This type can also be labeled Plata, White, or Platinum. It is the Blue Agave spirit in its purest form. It is clear and usually not aged, but some versions may be aged up to 2 months for a smoother taste.

Joven (Gold)
Most Gold Tequilas are Mixto because colorants and flavorings are added. Sometimes you can find a Gold Tequila that is a blend of a Silver and a Reposado or Anejo Tequila (described below) classifying it as 100% Agave. This type is very often used in mixed drinks. It may also be labeled Oro.

Reposado (Aged)
This is the first stage of a "rested and aged" tequila. It is kept in wooden barrels or storage tanks anywhere between 2-11 months. It takes on a golden color from the wood it is stored in, as well as flavor from the wood used, which is usually American or French Oak. You will find some that have been aged in used bourbon, cognac, or wine barrels, which adds another dimension of flavor to that particular tequila.

Anejo (Extra Aged)
When tequila is aged for a year or more, it falls into this type. The barrels it is aged in cannot exceed 600 liters. The flavor produced is very smooth, rich, and often complex, and the color turns a lovely Amber.

Extra Anejo (Ultra Aged)
This type has only been in existence since 2006 for tequilas that are aged more than 3 years. Distillers must follow the same guidelines as with Anejo, but the longer storage time causes the spirit to be a much darker Mahogany color. This type must be diluted with distilled water due to the high alcohol content before bottling. 


Well, now that you know more, which tequila are you going to try first? A straight shot gives you the full flavor of each type, but mixed into one of the best margaritas at the Lake of the Ozarks brings an entirely new and delicious taste of its own! You don't need to be a tequila expert to appreciate our famous margaritas, but if you do want to become a tequila aficionado, Mexicali Blues is here to help you on that journey.



www.MexBlues.com
Connect with us:
Facebook  -  Twitter  -  LinkedIn

65065 HWY 54
Osage Beach, MO 65065
573-302-0419 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mexicali Blues 2020 Season is Ending Soon - Don't Miss Out!

5 Great Reasons We Believe You'll LOVE Mexicali Blues

Holiday Gift Ideas With a Touch of Mexican Flair